Are You Catholic? Did You Know...?
- The Purpose of the Papacy, Francis, and the Synod | Gaudete Theology on Refusing to be Scandalized
- The Purpose of the Papacy, Francis, and the Synod | Gaudete Theology on Schism, Expulsion, and Ecclesiology
- The Purpose of the Papacy, Francis, and the Synod | Gaudete Theology on Francis, Discipleship, Fandom, and Factionalism
- The Purpose of the Papacy, Francis, and the Synod | Gaudete Theology on Which church?
- The Statue at the Synod and the Catholic Imagination | Gaudete Theology on Perpetua and Felicity
Monthly Archives: December 2014
I was very intrigued to learn, some years ago, that during medieval times, the convent was almost certainly the best available option for women who were intellectually gifted or ambitious. Women in religious life were often educated beyond the ordinary … Continue reading
The description wasn’t very specific: sex, race, age range. But the wealthy elite were sufficiently disturbed that they sent law enforcement out in force, with a tacit understanding that a blind eye would be turned towards any “overly aggressive tactics” … Continue reading
Favorite moments from Midnight Mass: – concelebration by all four(!) of our parish priests, & reflecting on how very lucky we are – seeing the black priest, flanked by two brown altar girls, waiting to receive the gifts at the … Continue reading
The lectionary omits portions of today’s passage from 2 Samuel to make the reading shorter. The first time I read it in its entirety, it seriously cracked me up: Did I ask you to build me a house? David thought … Continue reading
Crossposted from BLT **What follows is a flight of theological imagination** Psalm 84 The original author of this psalm was a young woman, perhaps a Midianite, who was ravished away from her home by a pillaging army and forced to … Continue reading
You know what I especially noticed about the Gospel reading this weekend? The authorities didn’t have a clue what to do with John the Baptist. He just did not fit into their preconceived notions, into their expectations. What John is … Continue reading
Some people complain, “Why does it have to be black lives matter? All lives matter! It should be #AllLivesMatter.” A voice cries out: In the desert prepare the way of the LORD! Make straight in the wasteland a highway for … Continue reading