Are You Catholic? Did You Know...?
- The Purpose of the Papacy, Francis, and the Synod | Gaudete Theology on Refusing to be Scandalized
- The Purpose of the Papacy, Francis, and the Synod | Gaudete Theology on Schism, Expulsion, and Ecclesiology
- The Purpose of the Papacy, Francis, and the Synod | Gaudete Theology on Francis, Discipleship, Fandom, and Factionalism
- The Purpose of the Papacy, Francis, and the Synod | Gaudete Theology on Which church?
- The Statue at the Synod and the Catholic Imagination | Gaudete Theology on Perpetua and Felicity
Monthly Archives: August 2013
It must have been about a dozen years ago, when I was just discovering my calling for theology. It was late one night, and I was surfing the search engines, as you do, going from one link to another, exploring. … Continue reading
The move from mimetic theory to mimetic theology is an ongoing effort which involves the appropriation of the insights of mimetic theory as the hermeneutical lens through which to read the bible and other theological sources. Mimetic theology is thus … Continue reading
Robert Doran, “The Nonviolent Cross: Lonergan and Girard on Redemption,” Theological Studies 71 (2010): 46–61. Doran correlates Lonergan’s Law of the Cross with Girard’s anthropological insights, arguing that Girard’s mimetic theory provides the psychic, although not the spiritual, data corresponding … Continue reading
The bishop has to be among his people in three ways. In front of them, pointing the way; among them, keeping them together and preventing them from being scattered; and behind them, ensuring that no one is left behind, but … Continue reading
In telling our stories, both personal and church stories, what is needed every now and then is the courage to remove the skeletons that are within us and bury them. I repeat that what is needed in both our personal … Continue reading
Ivy Helman has written on fasting and feminism over at the Feminism and Religion blog, and my response grew into a post of its own. She raises the following concerns about religious fasting: Religious fasts regularly praise the virtues of … Continue reading